Grandma's Gift (short story)


She closed the book, and finally, decided to walk through the door. The thought of how simple this should be for most people. She only has the pain from life of being misused, scars that can’t be seen only in her heart. Misery is said to love company. Loneliness has really become her only associate. Life’s little joke, a thought on how the loved ones had used her. Without any empathy and they always expecting more from her. The words that she has just read. Personal notes of the one who should have said some kind words of her family love and devotion, just to find no words of any thankfulness. Words for the others who used the grandmother and drained her financially to get what they wanted. Only to leave for long periods then come back and repeat. In the end of it were just me and grandmother many years of sacrifice for what? Damn the book she thought, the will did say to read the diary in grandmother’s house, but why? It’s like sending an innocent prisoner back to her cell for a reunion; she laughed a little, in this absurdity. Grandma never mentioned me, well briefly when I would actually get a few hours to myself.  No one else would chip in for the care. There were complaints of me, leaving her alone. Grandma then would go on how the others brought the grandchildren over. How precious they were and too bad that my siblings’ was having such a terrible time. She loved helping them cause of the angels they had. The siblings’ were like vampires in the old movies fed on the victim only enough so they could come back to feed later. Why did the lawyer have me come here? Is it my grandmother’s last laugh on me to read a diary of how I was left out of her life? Looking back at the door the feeling of once again the hope of love that everyone else seemed to know. Her not even a crumb respect or of gratitude. Thinking many years of running back and forth to that door for what reading on how much everyone got her grandmothers love. The emptiness in a cold way made her feel whole again with the youthful years like a distant dream of someone else. Looking for answers may have been in that damn diary after all. The need for answers may just be that strength doesn’t need words. There is no way I am cold hearted. Giving so much compassion towards that woman never asked her for a dime or expected rewards, she looked around the hallway facing that bedroom door. “Oh grandma, where ever you are, deep in my heart I love you even if you didn’t care or respect me. Is this your last laugh at me? Even now I am here and the other so called loved ones are enjoying the inheritance you gave them.” Still a bit confused about grandma’s wishes. While walking into the yard. She is met by the grandmother’s lawyer.

 “YOU” she says.

 The lawyer a little surprised by this.” Did you read the whole diary?” He asks.

“Yes.” she answers.

“Then you got the key in the back of it then?” he asks.

“What key?”She answers very startled.

“For the Safety deposit box at the bank.” he says with a grin.

“No key” she says while shaking her head

“Oh no, I told your siblings about this, you don’t think?” He says.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HAND FOR BRAIN KNUCKLES

GET SOME PRINTS IF INTERESTED CLICK THE LINK